Currently the Computer is a critical equipment
A stationary or broken computer can cause serious damage to the company! Here are five examples:
- The Computer is an employee's tool! So the math is simple: 1 stopped computer equals a stopped employee;
- Lost Time - Suppose a computer is stopped for 2 hours for maintenance because of a problem with the Disk, which must be replaced. Imagine further that the user did not back up his work in the last 48 hours. Conclusion: The company lost 2 hours of employee work, plus 16 working hours from the previous days. At cost with lost time, we must add the cost with the maintenance of the system, ie, purchase of new disk, installation of Operating System, programs, etc.. If the failed disk has critical / important information, data recovery is a task that can have very high costs. Finally, there is also the stress caused by the whole situation;
- Vendas Comprometidas - The sales sector is paramount in the Company! Any timing failure compromises the client's purchase decision. For example, if the seller wants to make a meeting online and the computer hangs, the sale will certainly be hampered or even lost. In addition to the loss of the sale, there is the demotivation of the seller, who will probably lose the customer, the commission of the sale ...;
- Bad Company Image - When technical failure occurs exactly when a customer is being serviced, the scenario is the worst possible! As much as the employee tries to improve the situation, the customer is annoyed to realize that certain procedure can not be completed. For that customer the company has failed and this will give rise to complaints and negative disclosure of the Company;
- Domino effect - The domino effect happens with a problem on the server and the network connected to it. Suppose a computer on the network is infected with a virus. If the network is unprotected other computers can be infected and "hang". Obviously employees are unable to work.
Some companies consider Preventive Maintenance as a superfluous cost! The examples presented in the article to the left actually occurred. It is easily inferred that they occurred due to the absence of standards of use and / or maintenance tasks. Performing periodic preventive maintenance has the following advantages:
- Improves data protection;
- Extends the useful life of the components;
- Improves equipment stability;
- Reduces the number of faults;
- Detects procedural flaws and helps to implement system usage policies / rules.
Some Preventive Maintenance Tasks
Before any technical intervention on a computer, the first mandatory task is to back up the data.
After the previous task is completed, the Technician will perform the remaining maintenance tasks, such as:
- Remove dust - from the power supply, fans and internal components;;
- Clear de box
- Lubricate the fans;
- Apply thermal paste;
- Inspect the internal components - check harness fitting. Check component fitting;
- Review / install updates of the Operating System, Applications and Security Suite;
- Run the antivirus;
- Check for errors on the disk;
- Perform file cleanup and defragment.
Selecting a Computer - Part I
Before making any purchase, determine what the purpose of the computer will be:
- What purpose does it serve? - The purpose of the computer will influence the selection of components, starting on the motherboard and consequently the CPU, RAM, Graphics and power supply, among others;
- For Example - if the computer will be used to process text and little else, you will not need a dedicated processor and graphics card. Otherwise, if the purpose is to install a virtual machine, you will need a lot of RAM, a "powerful" processor and an acceptable graphics card.
Selecting a Computer - Part II
Another issue to consider is the amount of devices you need. The number of devices will influence the choice of the box and, very important, of the Power Supply.
Consider the previous example:
- In this case an ITX motherboard with processor and onbord graphics would be selected. Since the number of internal devices is very small, an ITX or micro ATX box can be selected.